You lodge a statement in which you state the wish to retain the Belgian nationality before your twenty-eighth birthday provided you:
- were born abroad after 1 January 1967
- did not have your principal residence in Belgium during the period between the age of eighteen and twenty-eight
- do not work abroad either for the Belgian government or for a Belgian company or association
- hold one or various nationalities
- did not acquire the Belgian nationality beyond the age of eighteen years.
If you are not sure whether one of these conditions apply to you, we advise you to make a statement concerning your whish to retain the Belgian nationality.
You can make this statement with the Belgian embassy or with the Belgian consular mission that keeps the population registers in which your are entered.