Visa for Belgium
New contribution for visa LONG stay - D
Since the 2nd of March 2015 some foreign nationals have to pay a contribution which is to cover the administrative costs involved with the processing by the Immigration Office of a long stay visa application for Belgium. When submitting the visa application, the applicant who is required to pay the contribution has to demonstrate that the contribution has been paid in full.
This contribution is to be paid by the applicant or a third party (family member, acquaintance, sponsor, guarantor etc.) in a designated bank account in Belgium. The proof of payment will need to be provided at the time of submission of the visa application. In the event that an applicant is unable to provide the proof of payment, the visa application will be declared inadmissible.
The amount of this contribution and the exemptions that exist, can be found on the website of the FPS Home Affairs – Immigration Office: www.dofi.fgov.be.
The cost of the long stay visa (handling fee - €180 equivalent in local currency), will remain and needs to be paid at the time of the application. Being exempt from paying the handling fee, does not mean that you are exempt from the contribution for administrative cost.
The contribution will need to be paid in euros in a Belgian bank account in the name of FPS Home Affairs, Immigration Office, details of which are:
BPOST N.V., Muntcentrum, 1000 Brussel
FOD Binnenlandse Zaken, Dienst Vreemdelingenzaken, Antwerpse Steenweg 59B, 1000 Brussel
IBAN: BE57 6792 0060 9235
The reference must be according to the following structure:
- Name & First name of the applicant (as mentioned in the passport)
- Date of birth: day (dd) – month (MM) – year (YYYY)
- Purpose (Article of the law of 15.12.1980 - please consult the abovementioned website of the Immigration Office to find the correct article).
Therefore: NAME_Given name_Nationality_Date of Birth(DD.MM.YYYY)_Article(mention the n°)Law15.12.1980.
- Any costs involved with the transfer of the contribution are to be borne by the applicant or whomever makes the transfer.
- The contribution will not be refunded in case of refusal of the visa or in the event that you pay too much.
- In the event that you have not paid the full contribution, you will be able to transfer the remaining balance within a period of 30 days. If you do not prove that the outstanding balance was paid within this period, the Immigration Office will not refund the partial amount that had already been received and will consider the file inadmissible.
- You need an appointment with Online Appointment System
Registration of the appointment should be done by each applicant, with the data of the applicant (not with the data of the spouse, guarantor, secretary, or other). This means that for family reunion you need to take an appointment for each member of the family (one appointment for the spouse, one appointment for child 1, one appointment for child 2, etc...). For delegations or groups : one appointment for each member of the delegation/group. The appointment is free of charge.
- The finger prints and digital photos are taken at the Embassy. Each visa applicant will have to present him- or herself personally at the introduction of the visa application.
- You can find the list of necessary documents on the website of the Immigration Office.
The travel health insurance and the airline ticket can be purchased AFTER the clearance of the visa application. Please make sure you present a complete file with the original documents (which will be given back to you) and 2 copies of the complete file. It is advisable to send your documents prior to your appointment to the embassy either by fax (00962 6 465 57 40) or scan your documents and send them via email to email@example.com. Please note that the embassy will not download any scans/messages/documents sent by an external service (e.g. dropbox).
Official documents (e.g. birth certificate, marriage certificate...) should be duly legalized. You can make an appointment online - Online Appointment System - for legalization of documents. Your personal presence is not required.
Official documents from Iraq and Syria - and their official translations - will first be legalized by the respective Ministry of Foreign Affairs (i.e. in Baghdad or in Damascus), then by the respective Embassy (i.e. of Iraq or of Syria) in Amman, then by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Jordan in Amman.
- After being informed that your visa is ready, you can pick up your passport with the visa from Mon - Thu, between 2-3 pm.
- Due to the Schengen consultation the visa application procedure will take between 2 to 3 weeks, so you should submit your application as early as possible.
For a short stay, you normally should apply for your visa four (4) weeks prior to departure. Visa applications may take longer during the summer months, Ramadan, Christmas and New Year. Please keep this in mind when planning your trip.
For a long stay (students, family reunification,…), the delay can be up to 5 or 6 months.
- Iraqi officials invited by the government of the Kingdom of Belgium, the European Union or NATO to travel to Belgium, can introduce a visa application at the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Baghdad*.
- Visa applications for business meetings supported by an invitation of a Belgian company, as well as visa applications for training supported by an invitation of a Belgian company will also be received by the Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Baghdad*.
*Embassy of the Slovak Republic in Baghdad
Section 915, Street 24, House 195,
Tel +964 790 191 59 84
See map (PDF, 164.9 Kb)