Legalisation of documents

How to legalize a Jamaican document?

All official Jamaican documents that will be used in Belgium need to be legalized. This is done in two steps:

  • Legalization by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kingston (all information at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 21 Dominica Drive Kingston, Tel 876 926 4220-8, label found for: as_externallink.alttag).
  • Legalization by the Embassy of Belgium (costs 1.725,00 JMD from 1 June 2012; subject to change due to exchange rate €/JMD). Please contact the Embassy before coming with the document.

Unofficial documents from Jamaica that require legalization before they can serve their purpose in Belgium, have first to be legalized by a Justice of the Peace. After this first legalization, they have to be presented at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Embassy of Belgium in Kingston for their successive legalizations.


General information

A document that is official and legal in one country is not necessarily official and legal in another. Many documents must therefore be legalised if you wish to use them abroad.

The legalisation process involves checking the origin of the relevant document. Legalisation is official confirmation that the signature of the civil servant that has signed a document, or the seal or stamp on the document, is legitimate.

It is not only the signature of the person that has issued the document that is legalised, the process can also legalise the signature of the legalising registrar. Every signature, every seal and every stamp will be legalised by the person authorised to do so and who is familiar with each signature, seal or stamp. This explains why various legalisations are sometimes required, in a specific order.

A country may have signed up to a legalisation treaty that encompasses agreements about how countries accept one another's official documents. Many countries have signed up to the "Apostille ConventionNo label found for: as_externallink.alttag" of The Hague of 5 October 1961. With this, just 1 legalisation is required via an apostille stamp.

Questions and answers about the legalisation of documents:

  1. How can Belgian documents be legalised for use abroad?No label found for: as_externallink.alttag
  2. How can foreign documents be legalised for use in Belgium?No label found for: as_externallink.alttag
  3. How can foreign documents be legalised for use abroad?No label found for: as_externallink.alttag
  4. Does the document to be legalised have to be drawn up in French, Dutch or German?No label found for: as_externallink.alttag
  5. What if it cannot be legalised?No label found for: as_externallink.alttag
  6. Can I have my legalised foreign certificate transferred to Belgium?No label found for: as_externallink.alttag

For legalisation from abroad, you can also consult the website of our representative at the location concerned, i.e. Belgian embassies and consulatesNo label found for: as_externallink.alttag.

In order to further refine your question, you can also use the Search criteriaNo label found for: as_externallink.alttag.