How do I apply for a Schengen visa at the Belgian Embassy in Dublin?


Visa applications are by appointment only

Visa applicants should make an appointment to come to the Embassy to submit their visa application. Please phone us between 09:00 and 12:30 Monday to Friday on + 353 1 660 0886. 

General information

New contribution for visa LONG stay - D

Since the 2nd of March 2015 some foreign nationals have to pay a contribution which is to cover the administrative costs involved with the processing by the Immigration Office of a long stay visa application for Belgium. When submitting the visa application, the applicant who is required to pay the contribution has to demonstrate that the contribution has been paid in full.

This contribution is to be paid by the applicant or a third party (family member, acquaintance, sponsor, guarantor etc.) in a designated bank account in Belgium. The proof of payment will need to be provided at the time of submission of the visa application. In the event that an applicant is unable to provide the proof of payment, the visa application will be declared inadmissible.

The amount of this contribution and the exemptions that exist, can be found on the website of the FPS Home Affairs – Immigration Office: www.dofi.fgov.beNo label found for: as_externallink.alttag.

The cost of the long stay visa (handling fee - €180 equivalent in local currency), will remain and needs to be paid at the time of the application. Being exempt from paying the handling fee, does not mean that you are exempt from the contribution for administrative cost.

The contribution will need to be paid in euros in a Belgian bank account in the name of FPS Home Affairs, Immigration Office, details of which are:

BPOST N.V., Muntcentrum, 1000 Brussel

FOD Binnenlandse Zaken, Dienst Vreemdelingenzaken, Antwerpse Steenweg 59B, 1000 Brussel

Account information:
IBAN: BE57 6792 0060 9235


The reference must be according to the following structure:

  • Name & First name of the applicant (as mentioned in the passport)
  • Nationality
  • Date of birth: day (dd) – month (MM) – year (YYYY)
  • Purpose (Article of the law of 15.12.1980 - please consult the abovementioned website of the Immigration Office to find the correct article).

Therefore: NAME_Given name_Nationality_Date of Birth(DD.MM.YYYY)_Article(mention the n°)Law15.12.1980.


  • Any costs involved with the transfer of the contribution are to be borne by the applicant or whomever makes the transfer.
  • The contribution will not be refunded in case of refusal of the visa or in the event that you pay too much.
  • In the event that you have not paid the full contribution, you will be able to transfer the remaining balance within a period of 30 days. If you do not prove that the outstanding balance was paid within this period, the Immigration Office will not refund the partial amount that had already been received and will consider the file inadmissible.

All the information concerning visa applications for Belgium is available on the website of the Foreigners Department of the FPS Home AffairsNo label found for: as_externallink.alttag, which is the competent Belgian authority for access to the territory, stay, residence and removal of foreigners in Belgium.

At which embassy or consulate shall I introduce my visa application?

You should apply for your visa in person at the Belgian embassy or consulate which is competent for  your country of residence, where you will be requested to communicate your travel destination as well as the circumstances of it. In a number of cases, you can lodge your visa application through an external service provider (outsourcing partner). In some very specific cases, you can also be exempted from personally lodging your application. If you want to know more about it, please contact the relevant embassy or consulate. If you want to find out which Belgian embassy or consulate is competent for you visa application, please click here (PDF, 40.64 Kb) - countrycodes (PDF, 26.41 Kb).

If you apply for a short stay visa (up to 90 days), some countries offer the possibility of having your visa application treated by another Schengen country Belgium has concluded a representation agreement with. In order to verify which embassy is competent for your country of residence and whether Belgium is represented by a Schengen partner for short stay visa, please click here (PDF, 40.64 Kb) - countrycodes (PDF, 26.41 Kb).

Note: Representation in the matter of visa only concerns Schengen visa applications (short stay up to 90 days) for:

  • Tourist visits
  • Visits to family or friends
  • Cultural or sports manifestations
  • Business trips
  • Short traineeships
  • Transit through the Schengen area

Long stay visa applications (more than 90 days) or short stay visa applications aiming at a longer stay in Belgium (e.g. marriage in Belgium), are not covered by the representation agreement and must hence be lodged with the relevant Belgian embassy or consulate. If there is no Belgian embassy or consulate in your country of residence, you should apply to the Belgian embassy or consulate responsible for that country (and usually located in a neighbouring country):
click here (PDF, 40.64 Kb) - countrycodes (PDF, 26.41 Kb).

How can I have my visa extended in Belgium?

All information on this subject can be found on the website of the Alien's Department of the FPS Home AffairsNo label found for: as_externallink.alttag.

Once the Foreigners Department has approved your request to extend your stay, you must apply to the FPS Foreign Affairs (Rue des Petits Carmes 27, 1000 Brussels – Monday to Friday, 9h30 am – 11h30 am) in order to submit your passport and, if necessary, to pay the fee (€ 30).