Europe Day: Didier Reynders and Foreign Affairs focus on 21 schools
Thursday, 9 May is Europe Day, and 2013 is also the European Year of Citizens (www.youreurope.be/en).
On this occasion, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs Didier Reynders and his department will speak directly with young people from 21 schools across the country about “Our Europe: yesterday, today and tomorrow”. After the success of the first edition last year, twice as many schools are participating in this year’s initiative.
Didier Reynders will speak on Wednesday, 8 May, at 9 a.m., with last-year students at the Athenée Royal Serge Creuz in Molenbeek-Saint-Jean/Sint-Jans-Molenbeek (Avenue du Sippelberglaan 2 - Contact: email@example.com). The minister will discuss the origin and history of the European Union and its importance for us today and in the future. The presentation and Q&A session will take approximately one hour.
On Tuesday and Wednesday, 7 and 8 May, 20 diplomats from Foreign Affairs will visit 20 other schools in each province in Belgium, including in the German-speaking Community. The following schools, from all the systems, are taking part. They have been selected in cooperation with the provincial departments of the Europe Direct network (www.europa-direct.be):
- Institut Provincial d’Enseignement Secondaire de Huy (IPES), Avenue Delchambre 6, 4500 Huy: 7 May at 1:25 p.m., contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lycée Technique Provincial Jean Boets, Rue Hullos 50-52, 4000 Liege: 8 May from 10:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., contact: email@example.com
- Montfortcollege, Aarschotsesteenweg 39, 3110 Rotselaar: 8 May at 9:20 a.m., contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Immaculata Maria-Instituut, Kapelleweide 5, 1760 Roosdaal: 7 May at 10:10 a.m., contact: email@example.com
- Provinciaal Instituut voor Technisch Onderwijs, Laageind 19, 2940 Stabroek: 8 May at 10:20 a.m., contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hoger Instituut voor Verpleegkunde Sint-Elisabeth, Herentalsstraat 70, 2300 Turnhout: 8 May at 10:20 a.m., contact: email@example.com
- Athénée Royal Jean Rostand, Avenue de samart 2b, 5600 Philippeville, 7 May at 10 a.m., contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institut Notre-Dame du Sacré-Cœur, Rue de Rochefort 92, 5570 Beauraing, 7 May at 2:40 p.m., contact: email@example.com
- Instituut Mariaburcht Stevoort, Hasseltsedreef 115, 3512 Hasselt (Stevoort), 7 May at 10:30 a.m., contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institut Provincial d’Enseignement Secondaire (IPES) Léon Hurez, Rue Bonne Espérance 1, 7100 La Louviere, 7 May at 10:15 a.m., contact: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institut de la Sainte-Famille des Ursulines, Avenue du Tir 12, 7000 Mons, 7 May at 11 a.m., contact: email@example.com
- Visitatie Mariakerke (Broeders van Liefde), Zandloperstraat 8, 9030 Mariakerke, 8 May at 10:30 a.m., contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sint-Laurensscholen Secundair Onderwijs Zelzate-Wachtebeke, Patronagestraat 51, 9060 Zelzate, 8 May at 9 a.m., contact: email@example.com
- Athénée Royal de Bouillon, Rue du Collège 35,6830 Bouillon, 7 May at 10 a.m., contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Athénée Royal d’Athus, Rue Neuve 32, 6791 Athus, 8 May at 10 a.m., contact: email@example.com
- Bischöfliches Sankt-Marïen-Institut, Am Wittumhof 10, 4760 Büllingen, 7 May at 9 a.m., contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MAKZ - Middenschool en Atheneum Knokke Zwinstede, Campus Knokke, A. Verweeplein 25, 8300 Knokke, 8 May at 9:10 a.m., contact: email@example.com
- Sint-Franciscus-Xaveriusinstituut, Mariastraat 7, 8000 Bruges, 7 May at 9:15 a.m., contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institut Provincial des Arts et Métiers (IPAM), Rue Fernand Delcroix 33, 1400 Nivelles, 7 May at 1:35 p.m., contact: email@example.com
- Collège Notre-Dame de Basse-Wavre, Rue du Calvaire 4, 1300 Wavre, 7 May at 1:10 p.m., contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each school is also participating in a contest with the theme “Your idea so that young people experience Europe MORE and BETTER”. One school per Community will be selected based on the originality and creativity of its project. The winners will be invited by Didier Reynders to the Egmont Palace to present their projects and receive an award.
The coordination of Europe Day will be followed up by the Directorate-General for European Affairs and Coordination (DGE), Communication Europe unit, Mrs Jacqueline De Hanscutter (for additional information: 02/501 85 01 - email: email@example.com).
Media and press wanting to cover this initiative may contact the schools directly.